Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! In following with public health recommendations surrounding COVID-19, in-person counselling appointments are now available. Connection via secure video and tele-health platforms is also available and will continue to be offered as a service following the lift of restrictions, to ensure accessibility for those who either need or desire remote counselling.
While the choice to enter into a counselling relationship can be quite personal, sometimes there are indicators that may help you to determine if this is the right time. The questions below may help you to clarify how you’d like to proceed.
- Have you noticed a change in your day-to-day functioning?
- Do you sometimes feel like you just don’t know how to cope?
- Do you feel particularly sad, depressed, worried, and/or moody?
- Are you at a place where you’d like to begin dealing with things from your past?
- Are your feelings coming out in ways that are uncharacteristic for you?
- Have there been changes to your sleep patterns?
- Do you want to learn new skills, access resources, or experiment with new behaviour(s) so you can manage your concerns in new ways?
- Is it difficult to complete tasks that used to feel relatively easy?
- Do you want to talk to someone who can hear your side and listen, without judgement?
- Are you drinking or using drugs more frequently and/or in higher quantities?
- Do you have a problem with substance use?
- Are you feeling alone in your experiences, like nobody gets it?
If you answered yes to any of the above, counselling may be a fit. Alternatively, maybe nothing stands out above, but you really want to explore yourself as a means of healthy growth and development. A complimentary 15-minute conversation may also be scheduled, to further determine how counselling can support you and your personal needs.
$150 + gst – Individual 50-minute counselling session
$220 + gst – Individual 75-minute counselling session
Fees for group counselling vary according to the content, duration, and applications of treatment. For more information click HERE.
Tele and virtual counselling
$150 + gst – 50-minute counselling session
$220 + gst – 75-minute counselling session
Equine Assisted Psychotherapy & Wellness
$190 + gst – 60-minute equine-patnered wellness session
$270 + gst – 90-minute equine-partnered wellness session
$190 + gst – 60-minute equine-patnered psychotherapy session
$270 + gst – 90-minute equine-partnered psychotherapy session
Currently, session fees may be paid through e-transfer, cash, or credit card through your JaneApp account. Session fees are due at the start of session.
Provided our work together is not limited through a third party (for example, an insurance provider), we may continue to walk together along your therapeutic path for as long as you find it useful. While I will not promote set parameters around your involvement, I also do not believe in locking you in to unnecessary developments, if you believe your work is done. Often, individuals first seek counselling when they feel stuck and are prepared to engage with weekly or bi-weekly sessions. Afterwards, folks may return for “tune-ups” and maintenance work, or simply to continue with personal growth and development goals. The frequency of sessions and duration of service is ultimately determined by your own awareness of your individual needs, and we can collaborate to decide when you feel confident and safe enough to discontinue counselling. The door is always open for you to return when/if you want to reconnect.
Some extended health benefits will provide coverage for counselling services. Before booking an appointment, please ensure the designation “Registered Clinical Counsellor” is covered and be sure to ask whether limitations exist regarding the number of sessions an individual may access. Payment must be made to the counsellor directly at the time of appointment, with receipts submit to outside providers for reimbursement. There is no guarantee that a provider will cover counselling services, and it is your responsibility to ensure coverage is in place, prior to engaging with the service.
Currently, session fees may be paid through e-transfer, cash, or check. Session fees are due at the start of session.
It is requested that, where possible, clients provide 24 hours notice for cancellations. If less than 24 hours is provided without adequate explanation, sessions will be billed in full, with the booking of subsequent sessions placed on hold until payment has been made. You may notify your counsellor when cancellation is required at 604-385-4021 or email@example.com.
Clients who arrive late to a scheduled appointment are entitled to the remainder of the session only and the session will be billed in full. This policy is non-negotiable, as there are often other clients waiting for their appointments to begin on time.
Absolutely. Any content you feel is important may be discussed within the therapeutic relationship. Although all of your concerns are welcomed, some problems are best dealt with in varying ways. If it is determined that the counselling I offer is not suitable for your therapeutic goals, we will discuss a referral to another counsellor/service, or collaboratively work alongside other professionals to strengthen your healing resources, in a way that feels right for you.
Everything that is communicated within the therapeutic relationship is held in strict confidence, unless you choose to provide voluntary, informed consent to share information with a named party and have provided written consent.
While your file and any shared content are always stored according to privacy legislations, there are a few exceptions to confidentiality that you must be aware of prior to consenting to counselling.
a) There is a legal obligation to override confidentiality policies in the following circumstances. If, at any time, this is required, you will be informed and encourage to participate in the disclosure, wherever possible.
- If you present an imminent danger to yourself or to the well-being of others, including presenting with behaviour that may make it dangerous for you to operate a motor vehicle, the counsellor is legally obligated to take all necessary precautions to reasonably prevent such harm. This may include involving the assistance of additional parties and/or supports.
- If it is indicated or suspected that a child or vulnerable adult is being abused, a report must be filed with the appropriate agency and/or authorities.
- If therapeutic records and/or a disclosure by the counsellor are subpoenaed by a court of law.
b) Peer consultation and/or supervision may require the release of non-identifying client details. This is for educational training purposes and to ensure clients are receiving optimum care. Peer consultations and supervision will only occur within a collegial relationship and/or amongst individuals bound by the same confidentiality legislation and licensure as the counsellor whom the client is working with directly.
Although counselling has been shown to be an effective means of enhancing well-being for many individuals and circumstances, it is not helpful for every individual or every situation. It is important we acknowledge that making change can be hard. Seeking answers may involve experiencing difficult emotions and/or exploring parts of yourself that may be new and uncomfortable. There is no guarantee that concerns will be fully resolved with counselling, and the process can come with unforeseen challenges. For example, increased self-awareness and ways of relating to others may impact relationships in unexpected ways, which can be difficult for those involved.
The good news is that I am on your team, and I am committed to supporting you in building new strategies to handle such difficulties. When counselling is successful, there can be a number of benefits, some of which may be life-changing!
When counselling is successful, you may notice changes such as:
- An increase in confidence
- A greater sense of overall well-being
- New understanding and awareness of yourself and your behaviours
- Modifications to the ways you used to cope with stress
- Improved communication skills
- Changes to unwanted behavioural patterns
- Relief from previously troubling symptoms
and the list goes on and on…
I am located in South Surrey, with my office situated on a private, 10-acre property. This leaves us with a great deal of flexibility regarding how and where sessions unfold.
What you can expect is a rustic, yet deeply calming atmosphere, where nature is embraced as a comforting force and contributor to the therapeutic process. My hope is that you will feel grounded to your surroundings, permitting a deeper awareness of and connection to your inner being!